Do you have a local project which will benefit the community? If so, you may be able to apply for funds to make it happen.
The Community Infrastructure Levy or (CIL) provides funds for community-led projects. 25% of CIL funds relating to the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum area must be spent in this area and the Forum committee has been working with both Haringey and Camden councils to create a process for distributing these funds. Not surprisingly the Councils are taking different approaches!
How it works in Haringey
Haringey has devolved prioritising and identifying projects to the Forum. We have worked with them to create a funding process for anyone wanting to apply for CIL for Haringey neighbourhood projects. The guidelines and applications forms can be downloaded below.
We are keen to enable CIL funding to be spent to benefit our community. The funding process helps ensure that projects are robust, sustainable and as ‘ready to implement’ as possible to avoid delay, frustrations and waste of resources by the community and the council.
The first step is to complete the eligibility form to see if you qualify.
If your project is eligible for CIL funding, the next step is to either submit an application form or an expression of interest form. See the background and guidance document to decide which approach to take.
Several projects have been approved by the Haringey Planning Policy team to go forward into Round 1 CIL spending this spring/summer (see news blogs about them on right of this page). After council consultation this summer, another round of spending will be announced. We’ll update you when we receive further information. In the meantime, you may find it useful to submit a CIL application form to the HNF steering group so we can support you in putting together a successful bid for the next round.
How it works in Camden
Camden has given local councillors the say on prioritising CIL projects from lists taken from the local Neighbourhood Forums (Highgate and Dartmouth Park) and their own consultation. Several projects have already been approved – see the news blogs on the right for more about these.
We are meeting with Camden to see how we can contribute. In the meantime, the Camden councillors are keen to hear about potential projects and you should get in touch with them directly. It would also help us with a strategic overview if you inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org as we may be able to offer advice, or inform you of possible partners.
CIL Steering Group Committee members
- Katherine Ives
- Louise Lewis
- Maggy Meade King
- Haringey Highgate Councillor
We will do all we can to respond to applications within 6-7 weeks, and are keen to enable as many projects for the community as possible.
CIL ideas during neighbourhood planning
During the consultation around the Plan, we asked the community to prioritise which projects to spend CIL money on. These are the ideas in the order they came out in the poll. These now form Policy SC2 in the Plan and some – like the playgrounds and signage – are already in train. Others are awaiting a champion to take them forward.
- Shuttle bus linking communities
- Enhancing Pond Square
- Supporting Waterlow Park
- Highgate Bowl project
- Community space at 271 bus terminus
- Trees on North Hill/Archway Road
- Facilities for young people
- Dedicated, safe cycleways
- Green pockets and corridors
- Crossings on Archway Rd
- Playgrounds at Hillcrest and on Parkland Walk
- Safe cycling learning space
- Solar panel and wind turbine schemes
- Guerilla gardening
- Green walkways
- Support for Holly Lodge Community Centre
- Signage from Highgate station to Highgate Village
- Making Highgate station cycle/disabled/pedestrian friendly
- Grants for improved shopfronts
- Old Highgate Overground station project
- More investment in Archway Road commercial area
- Better street lighting around Holmesdale Road and Langdon Park Road
- Improve street furniture and appearance of Archway Road
- Establish Highgate farmers’ market
- Improve Archway Road shopfronts
- Reduce street clutter, such as signs and IT equipment boxes
- Create shared road space on Highgate High Street
- Make The Bank ‘access only’ and convert to pedestrian/cycle way with green planting and seating
- More even paving in the High Street and better lighting in Pond Square
- Make Pond Square a living, vibrant community asset
- Continue the C2 bus up West Hill to connect Highgate to the West End
- Restore the public toilets in Pond Square
- Restore tree in memory of Greenpeace photographer Fernando Pereira in Peace Park
- Create pocket parks throughout the area
- Refurbish Victorian cast iron lamppost in planter on Hornsey Lane Gardens
- Include a small, short stay car park in the Highgate Bowl project
- Improve pedestrian route up Archway Road at the south end
- Introduce a Highgate Card for local shops
- Support local SMEs
- Create one cohesive group organising Highgate events, such as Fair in the Square and the Christmas Lights
- Replace street signs at Jacksons Lane & Southwood Lawn Road with ones in keeping with the venue
- Additional parking facilities – perhaps connecting shuttle bus with a park-and-ride facility
- Contribute to Lauderdale House Refurbishment fund
Looking forward to Spring: February 2022 newsletter
Winter 2022 newsletter: looking to Spring Dates for your diary Local Elections: May 5 HNF AGM: May 26 Eco Day (led by Lux) May (date tbc) Fair in the Square: June 11 Highgate Festival June 11-19 Lauderdale House Heritage Weekend is back Take a step back in time and...
Christmas in Highgate: latest newsletter
Season's greetings everyone! Fun times in Highgate as Christmas approaches: Christmas Lights are being organised by local estate agents Prickett & Ellis, Winkworths and Taylor Gibbs - you can drop a donation into their offices Sat 4 Dec Harington Christmas Sale...
2021 update on CIL spending
The Covid Pandemic has had an impact on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) spending in both Haringey and Camden and will do so for some time to come. In Haringey, they have decided to postpone consulting on Round 2 Neighbourhood CIL projects until 2022. This is...
Highgate needs YOU
The Forum is made up of people like you who care about making Highgate a better place to live and work. Come join us!
Email us at email@example.com